Acid – Peptic – Disease (APD)
- History – Since how many months or years ?
- What are the symptoms ?
- Which medicines does he / she take ?
- H/o Hurry – Curry – Worry
- Acid peptic disease is a state of imbalance of Acid peptic secretion and protective mechanism of gastric mucosa.
- Mucus secretion by mucus cells protect the gastric mucosa. (Iner Layer)
- Acid secretion has 2 phases – Basal and Stimulated.
- Basal secretion is also called as interdigestive secretion present, when stomach is empty, Basal secretion is maximum during night, is controlled by vagus, local histamine stimulation and affected by emotions.
- Normally basal secretion is rich in mucus, small in pepsin & almost no acid.
- Emotions like worry increase acid secretion by vagal stimulation.
- Stimulated phase is when food is present in the stomach. It is mediated by vagus, histamin and gastrin.
- Histamine is produced by a special cells and gastrin is produced by gastric cells near pyloric antrum.
- How does stress induce APD ?
- Stress leads to hypothalamic stimulation of vagal activity causing increase in basal acid secretion & some of stimulated one. Emotional stimuli offen lead to increase in basal (inter-digestive) secretion by Cephalic pathway – vagal stimulation. This is rich in pepsin & acid.(Gasric secretion occures in three phases,Cephalic,Gastric & Intestinal.Cephalic is the one which occures before food enters the stomach.Sight ,smell,taste & thought of food are the neurogenic signals,which originate in cerebral cortex & apetite centers of amygdala & hypothalamus & are transmitted through vagi to stomach)
- Thus both factors together lead to imbalance between acid peptic secretion and mucus protection leading to acid peptic disease.
Mode of Action of MYT
- Standard programme changes breathing pattern, which corrects autonomic arousal.
- Conscious Abdominal Breathing increases the strength of diaphragm.Oesophagus enters the abdominal cavity by passing through the right crus of diaphragm.It is compressed during expiration (refer to Anatomy Vol 2 -30.6) preventing the regurgitation of contents of stomach into oesophagus.(GERD-Gastro-eosophageal reflux disease)
- Pranayam sequence helps in emotional stability & cognitive corrections.
Benefits of MYT
- MYT helps in stress management.
- MYT helps in dietary discipline.
- MYT improves sleep pattern.
* This information is applied in Medical Yoga Therapy to help the patients.