Rope & Belt therapy is pioneered by Yogacharya BKS Iyengar Guruji way back in 1970. Dr. S. V. Karandikar, an ardent disciple of Guruji further developed it. Being an expert clinician & blessed with research mind, he applied his anatomical & physiological acumen for musculo – skeletal disorders.
It is used as an adjunct in conservative management of Osteoarthritis of Knee Joint, Lumbar & Cervical Spondylosis.
Eminent Orthopaedic Surgeon, Padmashree Dr. S. M. Hardikar Sir approves and advises it for selective cases.
The basic principles for Rope & Belt Therapy are –
- Stretching of selective skeletal muscles.
- Restoration of alignment of bones.
- Correction of weight bearing axis of body.
- Improvement of Postural awareness.
- Passive Correction of Pelvic & Shoulder Girdles.
Rope & Belt Therapy has two components –
- To be given by experienced Yogatherapist at Yoga Center.
- To be learnt by patient & used in day to day life.
Rope and Belt Therapy is a valuable application in modern Yogic Science. The classical Yogic postures form its’ base. The patients with history of pain & muscular spasm, are unable to perform & practice classical Yogic postures. Rope & belt Therapy is extremely useful in such cases. It is advised for one month duration to six months after which the patients’ day to day activity comes back to normal & one can practice classical Yogic postures & moderate aerobic activities.
Rope & Belt Therapy is extremity useful for highly motivated, adherent, studious, self care type persons. In case of senior citizens, it requires a support system at family level.
* This information is applied in Medical Yoga Therapy to help the patients.