Fertility means ability to conceive i.e. ability to be pregnant. Every female life passes thro’ stages of menarche, reproductive phase, prerienopausal & post menopausal phase. That means beginning of menstruation, phase of mother hood, nearing menopause & after menopause.
Beginning of menstruation is controlled at Hypothalamus by secreting GnRH, which stimulates Pitutary to secrete FSH & LH. They stimulate ovaries to secrete Esterogen & Progesteron which lead to changes in the uterine endometrium.
This whole cascade has a monthly cyclic pattern. The utrine endometrium, prepared like a ‘red carpet’ for fertilized ovum, is shed every month in the form of menstruation if, it does not arrive.
Fertility means ability to become a mother, is a natural gift to female. If we take care of ‘nature’ in our body it will be ‘naturally’ functioning. 90 % of pregnancies occur naturally without any medical help.
But today, our clinics are full of couples who come to us saying that, we are ‘trying’ but ‘it’ is not happening – means the wife is not conceiving.
Why so ? ……
Why this 90% is going down drastically & fertility is needing medical help more & more in percentage ?
Reasons are many ! To name a few –
1) Late marriages
2) Late decision for conception
3) Life style situations leading to
- Excessive adipose tissue
- Lack of exercise
- Stressful worklife
- Insufficient sleep
- Strained husband & wife relationship
- Promising career of females
4) Inability to understand the wisdom of ‘Let nature nurture your fertility
For above mentioned 90% of cases, let us understand how the fertility works, by Fertility Triangle.
If above mentioned 3 factors namely,
- Mature healthy ovum
- Sufficient Sperm count & motility
- Patent fallopian Tubes
are normal, then the couple has to patiently wait for conception with all healthy life style habits i.e.To eat healthy food, Exercise everyday, Sleep sufficiently & Be peaceful & happy.
The female HPO axis will work efficiently under these conditions to bear the fruit of baby.
A small care is advised for the couple to do the basic blood tests like, Haemogram, U. TSH & Blood sugar. If needed medicines should be started.
A word about PCOD can not be avoided here. All above mentioned life style pattern is giving rise to PCOD. It resolves with weight reduction & other mentioned daily routine healthy habits.
‘Yoga is an ancient science of India, since about 5000 years. It offers us a methodical approach for utilizing our potential to the fullest extent.
It provides us the guidelines for maintainance & enhancement of health at multiple levels.
Ashtang Yoga is a formulation by Mahamuni patanjali, which disciplines our behavior & physical & physiological status. Focused yet calm state of mind is the goal of this discipline. Hatha Yoga helps us to purify our body & makes it strong & agile.
Ability to foucs helps in various cognitive functions of cerebral cortex. Calm state of mind helps the limbic system to function in its circadian rhythm. Psychonerological axis brings hypothalamo-pitutary-ovarian function to work cyclically as designed by nature.
Science of Yoga, if understood in its medical applications, can definitely help the couples to complete their desire of having a baby, in cases where no identifiable obstacle is found.
Foot Note :-
1) IUI means Intrauterine insemination i.e. To deposit semen in Uterine cavity. This procedure is advised in the cases of Oligoasthenospermia i.e. Low sperm count & with low motility. This increases the probability of sperm, reaching the ovum in lateral 1/3rd part of fallopian tube.
2) IVF means in vitro fertilization, i.e. fertilization of ovum is done, outside body & the fertilized ovum is deposited in the uterine cavity. This procedure is advised in case of bilateral tubal block.
* This information is applied in Medical Yoga Therapy to help the patients.